Permits for Everest Base Camp Trek

Mount Everest lies in the Everest/Sagarmatha National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site famous for its high mountain peaks, glaciers, deep valleys, and Sherpa settlements.

Every year, thousands of trekkers, nature lovers, and adventurers come to this region to witness the incredible geography. Most of them reach Everest Base Camp (EBC). However, you will require two permits to step on Everest Base Camp - Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit and Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit.


1. Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit

Foreign nationals, including SAARC (India, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Pakistan) citizens, can get Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit, paying a fee of NPR 2,000 per person for the first four weeks. 

After four weeks, the cost of the permit goes to Rs. 2,500 per person (No VAT applicable). You will need your passport with you to get this permit.  


Where can I get Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit?

If you are flying to Lukla, you will need to get this permit after arriving in Lukla. Trekkers arriving from Jiri or Salleri to the Khumbu region can obtain this permit in Monjo at Sagarmatha National Park Counter. 

Please remember there are no alternative offices in Kathmandu that issue this permit. 


Where in Lukla do I get the Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit?

The office issuing this permit lies on your trail paths at Lukla. You need not be worried about the location. 


2. Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit

Foreign nationals must pay NPR. 3,000 per person to enter Sagarmatha National Park. However, for SAARC nationals, the cost is NPR 1,500, and for Nepalis, the entry fee is NPR. 100. 13% VAT is extra. Children under 10 years of age are entitled to free entrance. You will need your passport to get this permit.


Where can I get the Sagarmatha National Park Permit?

You can acquire this permit from the Nepal Tourism Board Office, Pradarshani Marg, Kathmandu 44617. Here is their website -

You can also get this permit at Sagarmatha National Park Entry Gate in Monjo. However, during peak trek seasons, you might need to stand in a queue for a long time. So, we advise you to get this permit in Kathmandu as soon as possible.

Note: We at Discovery World Trekking want your trek to be as hassle-free as possible. Hence, we will get these permits for you.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do I need a Trekker's Information Management System (TIMS) permit for the Everest Base Camp Trek?

From October 1st, 2018, TIMS Card is no longer required for Everest Base Camp Trek. Instead, you will require Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit and Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit.


Can I pay the EBC permit fees in US dollars, or do I need Nepali Rupees?

You need Nepali Rupees to pay for EBC permits. Please also note that people in the Everest region only honor Nepali Rupees. 


If I have a local guide with me, does he need Sagarmatha National Park Permit and Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit?

No, local guides don't need permits to trek to Everest Base Camp.


What documents do I need for EBC permits?

You only require your passport copy for your details. 

Paul Gurung

Paul has an extensive experience in the tourism industry. Through his blogs, he shares his deep knowledge about the stunning trek regions in Nepal, inspiring trekkers worldwide to explore these regions and enrich their lives. In addition to geography, his writings delve into the human side of the trek regions, including culture, traditions, religions, and etiquette, offering a comprehensive and enriching perspective on the Himalayan trekking and expedition experience.